History and Museums
County Mayo on the West Coast of Ireland
Here you will find links to historical articles related to County Mayo and you can visit the 'Museums of Mayo website' for information on the museums.
As well as the links there are also many historical articles under the various towns and communities.
- A short introduction and History
- An Outline History of Mayo also divided into smaller sections:
- Folklore of East Mayo - researched in Mayo Abbey
- Articles in the Connaught Telegraph
- The Great Famine in Co Mayo 1845 - 1849
- Mayo Abbey a small village that gave its name to County Mayo
- Charlestown history section has interesting accounts of some of its main characters as well as an excellent photo gallery from yesteryear
- Where The Sun Sets - History of North Mayo
- Moores of Moorehall
- Westport The Tear and The Smile - nostalgia, laughter and tears, that recalls a time when Westport was young but growing
- Mayo - A Proud County - this book gives a glimpse of County Mayo, its past and its present, people, places and enterprise. It is a colourful compilation of magnificent photographs from many corners of the county and references many famous Mayo people.
- Claremorris in Restrospection - a little history and a few memories of Claremorris in times when virtue, character and a sense of responsibility and common pride were as prized as expensive houses, fancy cars and high social status. A valuable resource for people in and around Claremorris.
- Kilcashel Landscape Project - a multidisciplinary archaeological investigation of a rural townland called Kilcashel, just south of the village of Kilmovee, in County Mayo.
- Earthsound Associates - offer a range of geophysical services for use on land, wetland and water, catering for clients in the community, public, commercial and academic sectors.
If you are looking for accommodation in Connemara please visit our Connemara Accommodation Website